Palais-Royal – Paris, France
Built as the residence for Cardinal Richelieu, architect Jacques Lemercier began his design in 1629. Construction was completed in 1639 and was named Palais-Cardinal. Following Richlieu’s death, the palace was bequeathed to the king of France and became the residence of Louis XIV. It was at this time that the building adopted its new identity as the Palais-Royal.
Restoration of the impressive courtyard included the recreation of large stone vases located along the parapet.
Credit: John-Philippe Smith while at Atelier Bouvier
Client: Palais-Royal – Paris, France