Ontario Legislative Building – Toronto, Ontario
Constructed in 1893, this red sandstone building was designed by architect Richard A. Waite. This five storey asymmetrical structure is built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It incorporates 11th and 12th century southern French, Spanish and Italian Romanesque characteristics, including “Romanesque” arches.
Restoration included the entire replacement of the upper jaw of massive lion heads located on the front façade. These complicated indent repairs were fixed using dovetail joints and then carved in situ.
Credit: John-Philippe Smith while at CRS
Client: DJ McRae Contracting