Upper Canada Village Mile Marker – Morrisburg, Ontario
Now located at Upper Canada Village, this limestone mile marker originally came from old Highway 2, between Kingston and Napanee. Highway stones like these were erected in the 1830’s and marked the distance between villages and towns. One side is inscribed with “N XX”, meaning twenty miles to Napanee. On the opposite is written “K III”, representing three miles to Kingston.
Broken in two pieces after being struck by a vehicle, the pieces were restored and re-assembled with ½’’ stainless steel rods and tinted lime mortar.
Credit: Smith & Barber – Sculpture Atelier Inc.
Client: Upper Canada Village